Thatch Reed Panels
Our Thatch Reed Panels from Africa will add the perfect touch to your outdoor paradise. These African thatch panels are 12″ in length, easy to install and easy to tailor for a specific look. Thatch Reed Panels create a much more refined thatch roof appearance opposed to the shaggy palm. Read our Specs below as well as our FAQs. If you have additional questions, please use fill out the form and one of our sales reps will contact you as quickly as possible.
- Thatch reed panels are 5% to 10% cooler than regular shade materials.
- Panels are 99% waterproof when installed 12” on center.
- Will last four to five years depending on the location. Hot, dry climates are best.
- Available in a 31” x 16” x 1.5” panel.
- 12” of the reed is exposed.
- Panel covers 2.5 square feet.
- Panel weighs 10 lbs.
- Six panels are in one box.
- Reed poles are bound together using a flexible two component polyurethane mixture, reinforced with shade cloth that is glued together at one end.
Thatch reed panels can be clipped over 1/4” or 8mm steel rods or attached with 2” or 50mm nails or staples to wooden battens. We suggest installing the thatch reed panels on a pitch of 30 degrees. The steeper the pitch the longer the panels will last. Please refer to the diagram below for more information.
How do I install the thatch reed panels on my existing roof?
You will need to attach a grid structure to the roof before installing the thatch to allow for water to flow underneath the panels. Attach the thatch reed panels directly to the grid structure.
How do Thatch Reed Panels shed rain?
Thatch Reed Panels are made from a natural thatch reed found in Africa, which is bonded together with a flexible urethane top strip. This technique forms a tough and virtually waterproof thatch panel or thatch shingle.
The outer layer of the reed has a natural waxy coating that beads moisture. When it is installed at angles larger than 35 degrees gravity pulls the moisture down the reed’s shaft and prevent it from soaking into the thatch.